[ Posted by Lara Keller 6/10/18 ]
Fascist racism in regional elections in struggling regions of the Czech republic revealed by UK’s C4 Far right in Czech Republic: the politicians turning on Roma. They are not only turning on the Roma which is bad enough. The language is vague and is about difference. Speaks of the “rabble”, and the “maladjusted”. Turning people into problematic objects. These objects can then be more easily destroyed, socially by being contained as a threat, or biologically by being murdered, or both. In one poster the “others” also include the “homeless”.
The highly respected Israeli philosopher Avishai Margalit (who works actively against Zionist racism) would see this as contradictory:
“My central claim is that humiliation typically presupposes the humanity of the humiliated. Humiliating behavior rejects the other as nonhuman, but the act of rejection presupposes that it is a person that is being rejected.“ (The Decent Society, Margalit 1998, pp 109)
If only everyone was a philosopher worried by contradiction. Western countries, like the Czech Republic, turning to racism show a possible path to authoritarianism.
- Identify sections of the population as surplus, describe them humiliatingly as problematic objects.
- Attempt to clean up the problem up, by constraining and humiliating them.
- Provoke and facilitate acts of destruction by the so called surplus population.
- Justify further oppression in the name of security.
- Identify more surplus people.
- Install a fully authoritarian government, to protect the. minority from the enraged surplus population.
Some people claim that this process requires a severe mismanaged economic crisis like the Great Depression, or a society that is deeply divided and so can easily provide a ready made detached group of oppressors. The truth appears to be that people can easily be convinced to turn against each other, if they see no economic future, see no effective progressive political leadership and live in modern societies in small isolated groups. The truth appears to be that there are wealthy elites inside democracies and outside them (esp Russia-China) queuing up to turbo charge this decay.